Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gas Anxiety

For a reason unknown to me, the level of gasoline in our vehicle gives Kaeli great anxiety. She never fails to remind me when we are a quarter tank low. If I still don’t fill it after her friendly reminder she will give subtle reminders such as, “Are you going to stop at the gas station on the way home?” Or “Look, Meme, there is a gas station RIGHT THERE.”  If I still do not fill the tank after these gentle but constant reminders, Kaeli slips into panic mode. For example, our conversation this morning when I am trying not to lose my mind over the lack of merging knowledge by my fellow commuters, Kaeli half shouts at me:
“Meme!”
Me: “Yes, Kaeli.” I ask after nearly peeing my pants.
Kaeli: “We are almost out of gas!!”
Me: *Deep breathe* “kaeli, we will not run out of gas.”
Kaeli: “But it is almost to the red and we are stuck in traffic!”
Now, I would understand her anxiety if I was one of those people who has AAA because I make a habit of running out of gas just to inconvenience our lives, but I don’t. In fact, I have never run out of gas. Ever. So, I am not sure what she thinks will happen if we do run out of gas. Like the car will spontaneously explode, or little aliens will see our lack of mobility and abduct us, or we will get arrested, I just don’t know. What I do know is that parenting books don’t cover this type of stuff. I refuse to think Kaeli is the only child who has ever taken on the daunting task of Gas Monitor. Anybody? *Tap tap* is this thing on?

No comments:

Post a Comment