Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick’s Day

For some reason unknown to me I have adopted St. Patrick’s Day as one of my favorite holidays. Maybe it’s because it’s a holiday started after a Saint and has been reduced to a reason to drink green beer, physically hurt someone by pinching them because they aren’t wearing proper attire and teachers teaching their students how to make a “humane” trap for a little tiny green man. That was my favorite part of the letter that came home explaining Chloe’s class project; it has to be “humane”. Or maybe it was Chloe’s way of explaining the project to me.

Chloe: Mommy, I need money.
Me: Ok, for what?
Chloe: Just pennies.
Me: Ok, for what?
Chloe: I have some in my piggy bank. Can I use those?
I start to think I am not asking the right question or she has already figured out a diversion strategy to get money out of me and buy something I wouldn’t allow her to buy like 273 candy bars. I try another angle.
Me: Do you need these pennies for school?
Chloe: NO MOM! I need them for my leprechaun trap.
This included the Chloe “Duh!” face followed by the eye roll that she perfected at a disturbingly young age.
Me: Alright, how many do need?
Chloe: Oh, not much. Maybe like $100. I am going to catch 3 leprechauns. One for me, one for you, and one for Kaeli. Then we all get a pot of gold.
I love this kids thinking! 
Last year I had a St. Patrick’s Day dinner. I made a cute menu that had an appetizer, salad, dinner, dessert and drinks but I soon hated that menu! Oh the pressure that cute little green and white menu put on me. I no longer could improvise or decide not to make something without anyone’s knowledge if time wasn’t permitting. Nope. That menu just stared me saying “you haven’t made the asparagus yet and everything else it is ready to serve. You can’t skip the asparagus because it says asparagus right here.” AHHH, I spent most of the night losing my mind as I tried to keep up with food items on my menu. It was a disaster. Thank goodness it was only family and Tayla that attended the party. They have to love my disaster party and lie to my face telling me how great everything is. It is in their family job descriptions to do so. This year I planned. And then planned some more. I still made a cute menu with an appetizer, salad, dinner, dessert and drinks. I even upped myself and made a nutritional Information menu to go with it. Everything went perfectly. Except for the fact I managed to prove again that I cannot bake to save my life. I can cook a wonderful breakfast, lunch or dinner but if you were given a choice between me or a monkey baking a dessert for you, you should pick the monkey… every time… seriously.  Luckily, Tayla was over. She is the baker so I made her try and fix what I destroyed. She did what she could, we slapped a disclaimer on it before anyone put it into their mouths and it turned out great! Tayla is my baking hero! I cooked a delicious meal and got to actually enjoy it along with enjoying my company. I’m such a big girl now!

The Cute Menu and Nutritional Information.
(Since all of us are on diets right now)



The green fruit appetizer. Grapes, kiwi, apples, pears, and honey dew.


The strawberry and feta cheese salad with raspberry balsamic vinaigrette dressing.



Rosemary Pork Tenderloin


Chicken, Broccoli, and Tomato with Whole Grain Pasta. 
Very tasty and very good for you!


Berry Berry Cake for dessert. Only 127 calories a slice and so yummy!




Happy eaters! Sister (aka Rachael), Amber and Tayla! The 3 kiddos are at the kiddie table. When left to their own devises they created a disaster so there is no footage of such an event.

No comments:

Post a Comment